Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why Am I Doing This?

People have contacted me asking me why I am doing this. They've said things like, "Wouldn't it just be easier to quit Boy Scouts?" or "Why can't you just ignore it?".
I guess the answer can be summed up like this:
     I signed my son up for Cub Scouts because I grew up in Girl Scouts and LOVED it. We went horseback riding, camping and fishing. We did art projects and visited Nursing Homes and did Meals On Wheels for the elderly. THAT was why, when my son approached me about joining Cub Scouts I immediately said "Absolutely!". I totally agree with thier philosophy of giving back to the community. I think we could all take a page from that book.
     When I spoke with the Division leader he specifically said "Everyone is welcome". He didn't say "Everyone EXCEPT Pagans, Wiccans, Druids or Atheists".
    The BSA may have been started as a Christian Organization, however the policy HAS changed when it comes to acceptance of other religions. Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Islamic, Moravian & Meher Baba are all included in the religious emblem program. There are religions that are included that I have never even knew existed! (for example: National Association of Anglican and Traditional Catholic Scouters)
     It may have started as a Christian Organization, but it obviously is not limited to Christianity. Acceptance of these religions happened because someone wanted them to change...and they DID! The same could be true for Pagans & Wiccans. It's past our turn for equality.
     Like I've said: I'm not hoping for "special" rights, I'm asking for equal rights.
I hope this clears things up a bit.
Thank you for your continued support!
)0(Blessed Be)0(

No comments:

Post a Comment