Monday, July 20, 2009

7 Days Until the 1 Year Anniversary

It was a beautiful Sunday morning. I woke up early to get ready. I got my shower, and was halfway finished with putting on my make up when my son, then 5, ran to the bathroom and threw up. I sighed, because I had been so excited to attend a special service that day. But, my son comes first, so I called up our friends to let them know that we would not be attending the ceremony because my son was sick and to let everyone know that we'd be cheering them on at home. I tucked my son into bed, kissed his forehead and sat down on the couch to read a book. Only a couple of hours later my life would be forever changed. The day was July 27, 2008 and it was the morning that a man armed with a shotgun interrupted the children as they acted out the play "Annie" at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church. The man stood in a circle of children and pulled the trigger on his shotgun, not caring who he hit or who he hurt. But, that man didn't count on anyone in the congregation fighting back. He thought they were all liberal cowards. Boy, was he wrong. Fates changed that day, mine included. I was asked to volunteer my services that day. Of course, I went leaving my son with his grandparents. But the memory of seeing those children with drops of blood still on their shoes will haunt me for the rest of my life. I had only seen it second hand, these children had actually lived it. Goddess Bless them all.
Sunday, was a long day of frantic phone calls, tears and disbelief. I knew these people and they were GOOD. These were the people who had prayed for my family when my grandfather died. Two of those people were dead. (Linda, you will always be in my heart.) Shot by a man who had no reason than their political and religious beleifs. These were MY people.
The next day, the Second Presbiterian Church, next door to the TVUUC (where some of the members of the TVUUC ran for shelter during the shooting) held a candle light ceremony for Knoxville and surrounding areas. Of course, my son and I went. So many people from different religions and walks of life showed up with open arms. The ceremony was absolutely beautiful. The candles were lit in the darkened auditorium giving it a spectacular amber glow. We all bowed our heads and prayed, we cried as a man spoke of the power of unity and the need to live and let live. When the last paragraphs had been read and the prayer had been spoken, we all prepared to leave. And then the children from the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist spread out on the stage in front of us and began to sing "Tomorrow". What touched my heart the most was that none of them looked sad, they're faces were beaming with smiles. Those children had courage and honor. They sang that song at the top of their lungs. When they finished there was not a dry eye in the house and everyone was standing up applauding. These children who had seen so much were standing up, singing, smiling.
As the 1 year anniversary creeps up I think about Linda. A woman who had always been so kind to me. Always laughing and smiling. I never heard her say a mean thing about anyone. Linda, I miss you. You are forever in my heart. May Goddess and God Bless you, your family and your memory. Always.
Blessed Be,
Jai

No comments:

Post a Comment